Monday, January 31, 2011

Cross of the Dogwood


One of my fondest memories of growing up in Tyler County, Texas is the time Daddy took us 3 girls and planted a dogwood tree.  He told us the story of it and to this day it's etched in my memory.  It was his favorite flower and is now mine too next to white daises. 

Click to enlarge
I created this set of designs as a reminder of who I am and where I came from.  I love living in Woodville, Texas!  Each year around the end of March, first of April, our town, being the county seat, hosts the Annual Dogwood Parade.  The courthouse square become packed with  lookie-lous oohing and awing over the niftiest craft find, antique cars and funnel cakes.  It's not long before a stream of lawn chairs line the city streets waiting on the opening ceremonies to begin.  It's then that Princesses and Ladies in Waiting representing each school wave and smile from decorated themed floats and kids hold their ears because the Shriner's are on their miniature motorcycles making cyclone of noise.  Most small business owners are represented with a float or decorated truck and attached lowboy as those riding throw hoards of candy to the crowd.  School bands play and march with their twirlers leading the way.  Ahh, I'm so glad to be back home!  It won't be long before dogwood time in Tyler County is here.  I'll be sure to post pictures.



0 comments: