Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Mystery is Revealed.....


I started out by sewing in a section of white so that I could have a clean place to embroider.


Place another piece of fabric, right sides together. Sew like you would a pillow case, around 3 sides leaving the top open.


Grab the corners, press flat. I drew a line across the fabric and stitched directly to it, then trimmed away excess.


Do the same for the lining EXCEPT, leave a 4" to 5" slit in the bottom and still leave the top open. Turn inside out.


Place the lining into the from fabric, rights sides facing.


Stitch top, sewing both fabrics together.


Locate the slit in the lining and turn completely inside out. Press crease flat.


Stitch along the top to give a nice finished edge.


I stitched a smaller ribbon to hand bag straps, then folded edges making sure both straps were equal.


I used the "ole" 3 finger measurement and pinned a strap into place. Stitch a square then an "X" to secure strap to bag. do this for all 4 sides.


You're Done!!. Measures 10" x 10"

From the cute fabrics in my previous post, I made this darling hand bag. It was SEW SIMPLE. I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever attempted a sewing project of this nature. I saw some bags that Caroll made over at the Attic Window Quilt Shop that inspired me to try sewing a bag. I drafted a pattern and I've very proud of the outcome. I know there are things I can do different and I will try my new ideas this morning for another design to follow soon.

I have LOTS more picS and tips for this project.

UPDATE: Design & Instructions are AVAILABLE NOW.

Enjoy,

1 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a great tutorial. Love your bag. Thanks for the link too.